I was planning on writing this post and having it all ready to go on Saturday so that I could be completely prepared for it to post Monday morning and not have to worry at all about it on Sunday….. HA! Life has a funny way of telling you “Oh, sorry, you had plans??” Friday our little 13 year old chihuahua, Bentley, had a lump on the side of his face that hadn’t been there before. We gave him Benadryl thinking that he must have gotten a bite while being outside. When I woke up yesterday morning (Saturday) his face was much more swollen. By the time I got back from the grocery store he couldn’t even open his right eye. Brad called the emergency vet and told them what was going on and we made the decision as a family to have him put down. It was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make, and talking about it with our 5 and 8 year old was heartbreaking. So yesterday my day was turned completely upside down. Oh, and along with my DIY Father’s Day post I was planning on finishing yesterday, I was also planning my oldest’s birthday party (he’s 8 years old TODAY, I can hardly believe it!), cleaning the house to get ready to have the grandparents and great-grandparents for lunch, and a pizza party for his friends this afternoon.
I gave up on anything being perfect today and it has actually been a pretty great day so far. Since I wanted to tell you about how to make Dad a fantastic Father’s day present with essential oils I thought I’d mention that yesterday I had Joy and Peppermint diffusing all.day.long.
Now to our scheduled programming 😉 Brad has really sensitive skin and most creams and aftershaves leave his skin irritated, so I set out to find something that smelled good but also helped soothe his skin. Here is the recipe that I found works wonderfully for him! Have a fantastic Father’s Day my friends!
DIY Essential Oil Aftershave:
- Witch Hazel: It’s a natural astringent that tightens the pores and leaves skin clean.
- Grapeseed Oil: One of my favorite carrier oils! It is so good for your skin.
- Vegetable Glycerin: A little goes a long way. It helps blend the ingredients, gives the mixture a little body, and attracts moisture from the air to enhance the appearance of your skin.
- Vitamin E Oil: A naturally occurring antioxidant that protects the skin against damage. It’s great for fine lines and blemishes.
- Essential Oils of your choice – – I used Tea Tree, Sacred Mountain, and Frankincense.
Essential Oil Aftershave
- 2 ounce lotion bottle
- 1 ounce witch hazel
- 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 3 drops vitamin E oil
- 8 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 8 drops Sacred Mountain Essential Oil
- 4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- distilled water
- In the lotion bottle, pour the witch hazel, almond oil, vegetable glycerin, vitamin E, and essential oils.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water.
- Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine ingredients.
- To use: Shake before each use. Dispense a small amount into your hand and rub your hands together. Gently apply to freshly shaven skin.